The kitchen at Green Mountain Ranch features a variety of universal design elements, including adjustable cabinetry, pull out storage, and far-reaching faucets.
- The cabinets are wall mounted 42″ a.f.f. (above the finished floor) for ease of use by tall people. With a minor remodel, they can be lowered to 32″ a.f.f. for shorter people or wheelchair users.
- Self-closing drawers, eliminating protruding hazards.
- “C” grips on cabinets and drawers throughout the house.
- Full drawer extensions for easy access.
- Pull-out hangers for dish clothes.
- Lazy susans to bring storage forward.
- Ironing board in a drawer for easy access.
- Wine rack usable by people of all heights and abilities.
- Appliance garages at counter level to prevent lifting.
Counters & Floors
- Light colored silestone counters and floors throughout to increase reflected light and save energy.
- Multiple outlets easily within reach.
- Accessible route between the kitchen, garage, patio, two bedrooms, three baths, living room, and library. Adaptable route to all spaces.
- Zero clearance kitchen entries with less than 1/4″ change of elevation throughout the accessible route. This prevents tripping.
- Sweeps on kitchen doors to eliminate the thresholds with are tripping hazards.
- Recessed door mat to prevent tripping.
- Non-slip quartzite floor.
- Narrow level floor joints (for wheelchair users).
- Anti-microbial solid synthetic silestone counters, won’t off-gas radon as some granites do.
- Counters all on one level for sliding heavy pans.
Appliances & Fixtures
- Refrigerator, 2 freezers and pantry for storage to save trips and energy.
- Shallow shelves in the refrigerator and freezer for easy reach.
- Column style refrigerator and freezer offer storage space within reach of shorter people, children, and wheelchair users.
- Dual refrigeration to keep foods fresher.
- Extra long “C” grips on appliances.
- Some glass cookware to improve visual control from a seated position.
- Controls usable with one hand.
- Reachable controls between 18” a.f.f. and 48” a.f.f.
- Fascia-mounted drain controls.
- In-sink cutting board made of renewable bamboo.
- Magnetic induction cook top (for sliding heavy pans and to prevent burns) with front mounted redundantly cued child-proof controls.