- Video intercom which shows images of the visitor throughout the house and records each visitor if no one is home.
- Deadbolts on inner and outer doors for security in the entry, garage, and back patio.
- LED tread lights on all stairs for safety.
- Mortise system on front entry to eliminate the threshold which is a tripping hazard.
- Skylights to add extra light without extra cost.
- Extensions on the handrails where possible.
- Glass garage and barn doors for extra light without extra energy use.
- Preheated hot water from solar panels for the water heater, spa and radiant heating.
- Four greenhouses and a glassed-in patio to increase lighting levels.
- High ambient temperatures without increased cost (older people often need 78° ambient temperatures) primarily using four passive solar greenhouses.
Energy costs for Green Mountain Ranch over ten years averaged less than $70 per month.
- Insulation with high “R” values to prevent heat loss.
- All door and window seals tested to prevent heat loss.
- the greenhouses were planned so that fruits and vegetables could be grown year round.