General Universal Design Bathroom Features
Universal Design Bathroom Features
- Grab bars match décor colors to enhance a homelike feel.
- Adequate maneuvering space: 60” diameter turning space in each room and 30” x 48” clear floor spaces at each fixture.
- Clear space (3’) in front of toilets allows for easy maneuvering.
- Each toilet is centered 18” from a side wall so that grab bars can be within easy reach.
- Broad blocking in walls around toilet, tub, and shower allows for future placement and relocation of grab bars, while assuring adequate load-bearing and eliminates the need to open up walls to add blocking later.
- Knee space under lavatory allows seated use of lavatory. Several methods are used to provide knee space, including open knee space without a vanity cabinet, or adaptable solutions such as fold-back or self-storing doors. Pipe protection is provided to prevent contact with hot or sharp surfaces.
- Mirrors are placed to allow appropriate viewing from any height.
- Offset controls in tub/shower, with adjacent clear floor space, allows for easy access from outside the tub.
- Single-lever, or other easy to use water controls, at all plumbing fixtures and faucets provides for use by those with limited hand strength or those with soapy hands.
- Mix valves with pressure balancing and hot water limiter prevents scalding those who cannot move out of the way if water temperature and/or pressure changes suddenly.